Translate

Monday, February 25, 2008

CHANGE We Can Believe In

This is the singular message of the Obama campaign--on the official campaign boards, it takes a much higher billing than the actual name of the candidate. History is sure to note this slogan--but will history note that it is ungrammatical?

"Change In Which We Can Believe"--to be correct grammatically, that's how it should be said; just ask any English teacher. One doesn't end a clause with a preposition. That's how it was, but even then, it didn't sound right: the teachings were belied by our ears. That's the Professor Obama we might start hearing more of, if those who plead for less histrionics and more substance are listened to. You know what I mean. I think he's been there, and he's not going back. Vernacular rules!

It's not Ebonics; the denial of this rule in our daily speech is widespread. Secular, even.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thank you for talking about this. I, at my young age, drilled this rule into my head, and none of my sentences OR CLAUSES ever end with a preposition, verbally or otherwise. The signs have bothered me from day one. I feel the phrase "change in which you beleive" is no less catchy, but has the benefit of being intelligent, and, might I add, correct. As it stands, the slogan is immature, unprofessional, and very, very grating.

Chin Shih Tang said...

Did you notice last night that McCain's campaign is compounding the error? "A Leader We Can Believe In"--I think that's what his new banner says. Clearly, the bet by both parties is that America will ignore bad grammar.