Translate

Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Twilight of the Baby Boom?

Thus (without the question mark) was titled the Jonathan Alter piece in this week's Newsweek. I think it made some very important points, and its thesis of a political and sociological divide between the Early Boomers and Late Boomers was right on target.

Like me, he's actually right from the peak years which were neither Early nor Late Boom. He seems to feel that if you're not Early, you're Late, but no matter: I think he's way too pessimistic and dismissive of the boomers--as only a boomer should be. Obama--clearly representative of Late Boomer thinking (though no "late bloomer"!) represents only the beginning of the end of boomer political dominance (especially Early Boomer) ; these are the earliest expressions of post-boomer politics.

As I've said before, while I love the term "post-partisan", and it does fit, in the sense that Obama is clearly "post-" something, I don't think anyone should think the future's politics will not be partisan. Just that the cleavages will be somewhat different from those in the cycle now ending with the final days of Bushite Misrule.

No comments: