Translate

Sunday, February 24, 2008

Academy Awards Winner as Predictor of Presidential Elections

Here's the data point for tonight:
(one would suppose it's Best Picture, but I also recommend close study of Film Editing+) :

Juno--represents the key Obama constituency, the millennials. Their turnout in Iowa and footsoldier role in all the many state victories since is his core strength.

There Will Be Blood--to me, it's Clintonesque. There is determination to take one's chance and dare destiny, which applies to anyone foolhardy enough to run. But I see it as the direct challenger to its key opponent:

No Country for Old Men--Obama. A preview of the general election. Hillary's the Woody Harrelson character.

Michael Clayton--Who? I'd say McCain, vs. either HRC or BHO.

Atonement--The key group, the swing group. (Not that Obama will need any help with No Country on its behalf.) The application to the subject at hand is very interesting. Briony, the girl who told falsely, is clearly Dubya, and it's he (she, in the movie) who has much of the key to the general election.





+The Film Editing Oscar is highly predictive of the BP outcome and tonight can be read (or misread) either way if the Coens win it under a false name (and thus, the tension should be released early. Also, dispensing with mentioning the word "election" (I have a bet on a low value on the CNN channel).

1 comment:

Chin Shih Tang said...

Film Editing went to the Bourne movie; so much for that harbinger.

Contrary to the critics, I feel 2007 was a mediocre year for films: the Best Picture nominees were all adequate to their roles, but only "Juno" was special.

I'm a big Coen bros. fan but I don't think "No Country" was one of their best. To me, it was "Fargo"--about #4 or 5 on my list--without its redeeming humor. My reading of their body language is that they felt similarly.

I do feel the outcome was a sign of the times, and thus, John McCain: beware.