Translate

Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Carter-Baker Electoral Reforms

I haven't read the dissents yet, but I am grateful that this commission, of which I never heard until now, has produced some recommendations which the American people can get behind. These seem truly nonpartisan in their intent and their effect. I can only conclude that those against it are doing so for partisan reasons, which virtually makes them unworthy of consideration.

Not much high technology involved with either the voter ID or the vote-counting methods, which I think is a good idea given our currently regressed state of policy execution. We can bring out the retinal scan, second-choice counting, etc., etc. in about 50 years when we get our act together. In the meantime, I would note that photo ID is a benefit to Americans beyond the mere act of voting.

I strongly recommend that Congress approve these recommendations without modification, before they get tied up in the Sargasso Sea Scenario of the next Supreme Court nominee, the inevitable filibuster, the nuclear option and the post-apocalyptic rebuilding of our checks and balances. I am waiting for the Bushite Spin, but I am perfectly prepared to give them my sincere praise if they endorse the proposal--without modifications!

Even after this may get approved, there will still be the need for structural revision of the House of Representatives and the redistricting process, but that will be assisted by the reforms on the table and the possibility that the political class recognizes that the people actually do have the ability to mobilize in their interest.

I have little more than scorn for the cynics who have no interest in ridding this system of its massive irregularities because the quality of the political class "leaders" doesn't suit their iconoclastic urges or the revised system does not meet some standard of theoretical perfection. If the "move on" and the individual bloggers who claim to be for sovereignty of the people over the Beltway don't get behind this now, what good are they?

1 comment:

Chin Shih Tang said...

Now I've read the dissents, including the longer one on www.carterbakerdissent.com, and I have to say I'm not convinced to move from my stance above.

Photo ID is controversial for two reasons: one is the libertarian fear that we will lose our liberties, the other is the liberal concern that it will be used to disenfranchise minorities and the disadvantaged.

With the first concern, I am sympathetic, but I find there are several other free societies out there that have managed to continue that way despite having national ID's, and I think it is an idea for which the time has come in America. It will cancel out the counter-whining you hear from Republicans every time they are accused of suppressing legitimate voters. It will also produce some side benefit in the domestic efforts to prevent terrorism.

As for the liberal concern, I think it is misplaced. As long as the ID is free, and the government provides people assistance in obtaining the necessary documentation, it should not be a great hindrance to those who care to register. Once you've got your ticket punched, nobody can stop you from voting (even if it's in the wrong precinct).

The one exception into which I'll buy is those, primarily some Native American groups, for whom a photo ID violates their religion. Some provision in the law and its execution needs to be made for these people: professional sketches instead of photos? Affidavit? I don't know.