Translate

Thursday, November 15, 2018

Preview of the 2020 Democratic Caravan

 It has been more than a week since Election Day, so here's a line-by-line review of the most likely Democratic candidates, as ranked--reverse order of top 15-- by a Post staffer last weekend, with a little additional detail and my preliminary opinion.  I don't endorse the WP ranking, but it does have semblance of reality.


15.Delaney (John; Rep. MD) --Of all the the thousands of emails I received asking for money in
the midterm campaign (yes, one of those; I had plenty of Republican and Gun Nut ones writing me, too)
Delaneys' were the best among those who are running for President, full of carefully considered positiions.
More successful candidates will crib heavily from them. *

14.Avenatti (Michael, no known affiliations or honors) - I will say this about him: he can take things to
lows that Trump has not yet achieved (no, I don't want to give him more time)


13.Deval Patrick -- (ex-Gov. MA) I don't think he'll run. If he does, it may put Obama in a difficult position
whether to get behind him and get that out of the way, or wait and see if he gets traction..
That's why I think Obama will advise him not to run


12. HRC (2016 nominee) --neither the most likely to declare, nor most wealthy, nor best
choice among NY millionaires.


11.Klobuchar (Sen. MN) (dark horse if we want non-confrontational, serious)--She will be game.
Will voters respond? It will be a test of the "looks don't matter that much for women" political hypothesis.
Personally, I find that theory dubious, as they certainly matter for men candidates. Another theory is that
a non-confrontational, serious approach could be the best opponent for Trump. Maybe, but I'm
afraid it could be the perfect foil, something completely different.


10.Terry McAuliffe --former VA Gov. and DNC Chair. Could become a favorite of the Clintonesque
moderates, which would mean enough money to compete. Probably can't break the eggshells
around him.


9. Mike Bloomberg (one of the finalists, if he runs this time). I can live with him as the
nominee (and thus, implicitly, our next President), despite the bad optics. He was the best
NYC mayor since before John Lindsay. Maybe he and Drumpf can agree at a max spending number--
$5 billion per?


8. Beto   (no Gillum, Abrams) all, nothing, in between, or doesn't run are each about 25%.
I prefer candidates that win.

7. Sherrod Brown - I want to see what others see; I see the 2020 winner if we admit the possibility..


6. Kirsten - She will be a finalist in future elections. Probably not this time, as I see her as
being far less well-known than Kamala or Elizabeth Warren and not having much time to change it.



5. Corybooker - He may be a finalist in future elections--he has a good record but his brand
has suffered. Kamala Harris puts him in the shade, charisma-wise. (no pun or ill intent)

4.Biden - Not again? I was a big fan in the mid '70's. Honestly, I was. He has frequently disappointed.
Yes, he would make up for all that disappointment if he gave Trump a good thorough beating (as he
has sort-of threatened to do)--and I mean in the election, damnit!


3. Kamala - Right now, the betting favorite at predictit (though Bloomberg, Sherrod, Beto,
Hillary are not in the pool right now). I don't particularly see it; the goal is to win the election.
I can hear Trump now saying "Camel-la!"--like he said "'Gina!" (like "angina") Does that matter?
It shouldn't, but it does. . I will say that winning SC would put her into the finalists, though.


2.  Bernie - A finalist if he runs, but I think he won't.


1. Warren--Not the showdown I am looking for, Dickhead vs. Pocahontas. Although she has the
intellectual chops to destroy him, I think the reality would play out
stupid and sleazy--like Clinton vs. Trump was.


Honorable mentions: 1) Steve Bullock, 2) Jason Kander, 3) Pete Buttigieg,
4) Eric Garcetti, 5) Julián Castro, 6) Tim Ryan, 7) Tom Steyer, 8) John Hickenlooper,
9) Jeff Merkley, 10) Seth Moulton, 11) Martin O’Malley, 12) Eric Swalwell,
13) Jay Inslee, 14) Howard Schultz

These are all guys (I see no women in that list!) who The Post thinks is at least a possible candidate.  Quick hits:  1) MT - Gov., that counts for me; 2) see Beto; 3) the South Bend, IN mayor--many are impressed, perhaps too easily; 4) Mayor of Los Angeles--deserves some attention?  5) Julian Castro--I think he may be running for consideration as VP--I prefer Carmen Yulin Ruiz, the mayor of San Juan,  Puerto Rico. 6) anti-Pelosi Dem. Congressman from Ohio--I give him credit for courage, if not coherence; 7) Big-time billionaire financier of Dems. who wanted Trump impeached in 2018! Crazy.
9) Solid lefty Senator from Oregon, if that's what we think the winning ticket would be; 10)  (MA Rep.) see Tim Ryan; 11) Remember him?  I do. Moving on...12) Do not know who he may be; 13) Gov. WA--see Jeff Merkley; 14) Starbucks CEO If Bloomberg doesn't run, he might have a chance to break through.


Since the Post published this list, Richard Ojeda (WV State Senator, loser in 2018 Congressional race) has announced he plans to run.  I say, let him run as a Republican (he voted for Trump in 2016); somebody needs to do it.   I've seen the interviews and he is a potent distraction; a Trump spin-off
who makes a good impression.

*(In other categories, I would cite Carolyn Boudreaux--in a race still undeclared race, but probably
a loser--and Alan Graham's (just for their humor; and his pungent contextual commentary). Graham
lost big in a Democratic Congressional primary and--depending on his campaign fund's balance--
probably done for good.
What happens to that money, anyway? I heard Donald Trump has $100MM;
I would be glad to call it a day and he can keep it, as long as he promises never to run again.

1 comment:

Chin Shih Tang said...

I failed to comment on Honorable Mention #8, John Hickenlooper, the outgoing governor of Colorado. My comment should have been: 8) Should run against Cory Gardner for Senate instead. My apology for the omission.