Translate

Wednesday, December 08, 2010

In Memoriam: John Lennon

Today is the 30th anniversary of that sad day when John was shot. I was working late at the Troy (NY) Times-Herald sports department when I heard it. My editor was dismissive: I almost quit on the spot. I remember not being surprised, though: everybody knew he was at the Dakota; it just took one jerk.

Anyway, here's a tough one: name your top 10 John Lennon songs, in order. (McCartney, Harrison, Starkey, you'll have your own days.)

To help, this site lists the authorship of all the Beatles' songs (it's Wikipedia, but well researched; I suggest just the ones by Lennon, or Lennon with McCartney); this site has all the songs from his recording career (including collaborations with Clapton, Zappa, Nilsson)--it's unwieldy, but if you want to try it, the ones with an "s" after it are from his solo career.

Here's my list:
10. I Want You (She's So Heavy)
9. #9 Dream (that's the one with "ah-hawakawa-pose-pose"--breaks me up every time)
8. Watching the Wheels
7. I'm Only Sleeping
6. Tomorrow Never Knows
5. Yer Blues
4. Mind Games
3. I Am the Walrus
2. Revolution
1. Instant Karma!

Finally, for those who are really challenged and want some additional help, here are names I somehow managed to exclude. First, qualifying names (primarily J.L.) from the Beatles list:
A Day in the Life, Across the Universe, And Your Bird Can Sing, Come Together, Glass Onion, Happiness Is a Warm Gun, If I Fell, I Feel Fine, In My Life, It's Only Love, Julia, Lucy in the Sky with diamonds, Mean Mr. Mustard, Norwegian Wood, Nowhere Man, Revolution 9, Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite, Sexy Sadie, Strawberry Fields Forever, Sun King, Tell Me Why, The Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill, Ticket to Ride, You Know My Name (Look up my Number), You've Got to Hide Your Love Away.

And from his solo career: Beautiful Boy, Cold Turkey, How Do You Sleep, Imagine, I Don't Want to Be A Soldier, I'm Losing You, Jealous Guy, Just Like Starting Over, Mother, Oh Yoko!, Power to the People, Give Peace a Chance, Give Me Some Truth, Going Down on Love (?), Happy Xmas (War is Over), Woman, Working Class Hero, Whatever Gets You Thru the Night, and Woman is the Nigger of the World (with Yoko).

That wasn't so easy, now, was it?

No comments: