Translate

Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Thompson Gun like Ray-Gun

As the Times put it, Thompson Seeks to Don Reagan Mantle. I don't know what Mickey Mantle has to do with it, or why they misspelled Reagan's former chief of staff Don Regan, but I think they (belatedly) are on the right track, which I explored at length some months ago (stoner: Yearning for Ronnie?).

Anyway, I find Thompson the most likely nominee and a reasonable choice for the Republicans. He should save them from a disaster in their home turf in the South (particularly in the Congressional elections), winning 100-150 electoral votes. Much less risky than going with Giuliani.

The part I find interesting about it all is the treacherous path that Fred will need to tread. Romney seems to have the inside track in both Iowa and New Hampshire. Granted that Thompson should win South Carolina, whenever that comes to pass, I do think there could be a serious three-way showdown (pre-Unofficial National Primary) in Florida among Giuliani, Thompson, and Romney. The result will have national importance and set the stage for the knockout blow the following week. Perhaps there is another, better path; I'm sure that he would love to sweep Iowa off its feet, but it seems unlikely.

I do feel that Thompson's entry sucks the oxygen out of Newt's possible run. I also hope that is true.

No comments: