Translate

Sunday, June 03, 2007

The Rack: Top-Shelf Rock

"Having an interesting record collection" was the forerunner to today's Playlist Worship. This is an intermediate stage, the selection of favorite CD's. I admit it's an outdated concept; I'm a Late Twentieth Century Man.

I've taken the Divide to Conquer approach to storing, and displaying, the home CD collection. For example, I have one rather small CD rack, with carved wood surfaces, made in Africa and resembling a stretched-out townhouse: that one houses my jazz, blues, and soul (rather modest collections of each). I've got a rack for Recent Acquisitions (not currently in our cars or in the Active Play rack); I've got a revolving one that houses Greatest Hits and Soundtrack CD's; a pile for those who don't want anything but European or Classical. My largest rack has second-level choices, still loved, arranged by artist's name in a peculiar alphbetical sequence (more on that, perhaps, some other time). My second-largest rack is the Salvage pile, ones available for barter, sale, or spontaneous donation.

The subject of this post is the current contents of my prime rock CD holder. Somewhat fortress-like in shape, it's the one I bring out first each time I move. It's got two rows of slots--the walls between two slots are missing to allow for double jewelboxes on one end in each of the rows, but all of the slots are deep enough to safely hold the CD completely within.


In The Top-Shelf Rock Rack, the rows divide into "Early Days" and "More Recent" (the current DMZ between the time zones looks to be approximately 1979).


The rules for this prestigious Rack are: no more than one release for an artist in a row; my choice; no plan on order within the row.


Row of the More Recent Rock Selections

Big End Slot: U2 - "Achtung Baby" and Los Lobos - "Colossal Head"-- these two fit nicely together, and collectively fill up, a unique set of 4-slots-within-a-slot for CD's without jewelboxes. I don't store them in that way, though--the sleeves get lost and the disc is unprotected. I find an empty, nameless one to put it in, if I don't have the original jacket, or I slot those singles/giveaways in out-of-the-way crevices if I do.

The Edge- "Captive"- something else entirely from U2. This one's a soundtrack to a movie that I don't believe was ever released in the US in any form. Among other things, it's got a great vocal performance from Sinead O'Connor on a song called "Heroine" (sc--spelling correct!)

Alanis Morissette--"Jagged Little Pill"--I will vehemently defend this album, though I admit I don't listen to it these days. In a few more years it will ripen, and I will open it.

Pet Shop Boys--"Disco-The Remix Album"--catchy versions of their best early songs.

Pixies--"Doolittle"--I still like it when I check it again every couple of years, and it's not overly familiar. Still, it could be just holding a spot for that final, best Sonic Youth album.

Coldplay--"A Rush of Blood to the Head"--I certainly have no qualms about its selection among Coldplay albums (though I think it's the only one I've actually bought in CD). See also comment for Alanis Morissette: I expect to start listening to this one again in 18 months.

Soul Asylum--"Grave Dancers Union"

Indigo Girls--(eponymous)--Both Soul Asylum and Indigo Girls have been churning them out since these exemplars, but really haven't ever come close to matching them.

Green Day--"American Idiot"--has only been removed from active car/living room CD rotation in the past few weeks after a couple years' rule.

Gomez--"In Our Gun"--most of the critics would gainsay our choice, but let them. The only other possibility for me would've been "Abandoned Shopping Trolley Hotline", on the strength of its unusual (X-Ray?) version of their classic hit, "We Haven't Turned Around". But this one's more consistent, for once with a dollop of (antiwar) message.

Elvis Costello and the Attractions-- "The Very Best Of" --This selection was made by Declan himself; it's got good ones all the way through "Imperial Bedroom". Any original acquisitions of Elvis were in vinyl.

Prince and the New Power Generation--"Diamonds and Pearls" --This was the first Prince album I bought on CD. I'd gladly yield this slot to something new and better from Prince, but I'm despairing of that ever happening. I am a "Purple Rain" fan, but that one's vinyl for me.

Bjork--"The Times (London) Sunday free insert"--I happen to like this short set of selections; 'twould've come with the paper sometime around the end of 2001, I think. Playlist on demand only.

Modest Mouse--"Good News for People Who Love Bad News"--the first time I heard it, I thought it was unlistenable. I was more than wrong. Still, there's some possibility their (his) new album could eventually take its spot in The Rack.

Pete Townshend--"Scoop"--This is not really a cheat (unlike the ones I made for the Beatles and Dylan); this was released safely in the "More Recent" years, though the original recording dates are all over the 70's and 80's.

Nirvana--"MTV Unplugged in New York"-- I think I've mentioned that I like some musicality in my rock, and this is the best example of what Cobain could do. Don't get me wrong, I like Foo Fighters, too, but not for top-shelf. Pearl Jam "10" would make it if my CD weren't unplayably scratched up.

Bush--"Sixteen Stone"--Every male rock critic--and are there any female ones?--won't cut Gavin a break because they're jealous of him (and his success with Gwen Stefani, among other things). This album is a jewel.

PM Dawn--"Jesus Wept"--What happened to this guy? I thought we had a LA cross between Stevie Wonder and Prince here. The arrangements are too good to be hip-hop.

Olive--"Extra Virgin"--An obscure one, here. This one was actually purchased in the U.K. because my wife liked the album cover art (about an olive oil bottle). It's smooth, crystalline, trance, funky. I did find one more album from this org. before it infused itself in the scenery. I'm not sure whether it was inspired by Moorcheba, the reverse, or whether they developed independently.

Bob Dylan--"Blood on the Tracks"--we've got a problem here. This one dates from 1974, and it can't go back to the Oldies row: Dylan's already represented there (and I want representation in both rows). I also think Dylan deserves one from the current period, from "Oh Mercy" forward (I'd probably go for "Time Out of Mind"), but that's for a future edition. The only way to maintain the status quo is to state that "Blood..." is (at least 5-7 years) ahead of its time. But that's not correct: it's timeless.

Santana--"Supernatural"--I loved this comeback album. Either of the first two Santana albums deserve a spot in the Oldies; maybe I even have II on CD.

Don Henley--"Inside Job"--I have to admit that I like almost all his songwriting that sees the light of day. This album has a mix of styles.

Tears for Fears--"The Hurting"--I settled on this choice about ten years ago; there may be better individual cuts on other albums, but the overall level of this one is the highest.

Beck--"Mutations"--I have more of a feel for what I think Beck was trying to do on this album. I even have an unpublished (as far as I know) theory about what that was--for another time.

Simple Minds--"Sons and Fascination"-- I choose this album from the period before their big sellers. Pre-trance polyphonics, great vocal stylings--just don't ask me what the lyrics are about; I can barely understand any of them.

Beatles --"Anthology Part 2" --OK, it was released in 1986. That's the cheat. This one has some great bits from the middle times, and it covers several releases. The thing that was great about the Anthology was to hear that there are different ways for the Beatles themselves to have recorded these incredible songs. It shuffled up our "phonographic memory". This one takes up the double jewelbox slot at the right side.

OLDIES ROW

Sex Pistols--"Never Mind the Bollocks"--It is supposed to close out the old row, from a previous round of organizing. A little too obvious, maybe: we'll have to look closer now to see whether it can hold down the position of Latest Legitimate Oldie in The Rack.

The Clash--"Combat Rock"--Wait, isn't this one AFTER Sex Pistols, chronologically? Problems here....I take this one narrowly over "Sandinista".

Bruce Springsteen--"The Wild, The Innocent, and the E Street Shuffle"--Good early Boss.

Steely Dan--"Pretzel Logic"--Consistent high quality. Slight edge over "Katy Lied" and "Aja".

Steve Winwood--"Arc of a Diver"--This one is moving to More Recent right now. We've got Traffic later in the row, anyway. Always liked Stevie--even now.

(2 Open Slots)

Jimi Hendrix--"Woodstock"--My choice for the best, and definitive, Hendrix release for all times. Just the Woodstock concert, straight through, with all the talking, too.

Aretha Franklin--"Chain of Fools"--It's crossover, and thus escapes the African rack; one of my few later acquisitions of old Motown (and therefore on CD) .

Robbie Robertson-- (eponymous)--Little-known first solo album from The Band frontman; I recommend it. Some good collaborations. Proves definitively that Robbie can't sing.

(2 open slots)

Simon and Garfunkel--"Bookends"--A dozen good songs. This is the place to get "Mrs. Robinson", if you're looking for that: stay away from the "Graduate" soundtrack album.

Cream--"Disraeli Gears"--This won the title in our dorm rooms 30 years ago for most tasteful Clapton album (in all incarnations); I don't think it could be challenged any more. "From the Cradle" was great (actually bought that one on prerecorded cassette, not CD), but it belongs on the blues shelf, not rock. Creme de la creme de Cream.

Yes--"Close to the Edge"--Not the most chic choice, I know. I find it a fascinating musical performance.

Allman Brothers Band--"Eat a Peach"--They were the best band in the world for a few months, then the rest of their career has been the transition to AWB Playing Without Duane. This double album captures that.

Police--"Regatta de Blanc"--Released 1978. Again, I find it maintains the highest consistent level of the Police albums.

Patti Smith--"Horses"--I do love a good rock 'n roll rant, and this one has a couple great ones.

Al Stewart--"Past, Present and Future"--Talk about timeless! What could be moreso than "Nostradamus"? and the song itself reflects that with its trance-inducing instrumentals. "Roads to Moscow" is the best, and probably the only, rock take on perhaps the most important event in modern history, the Nazi-Soviet war.

King Crimson--"Starless and Bible Black"--This one definitely would qualify for More Recent in every way but its release date (and it probably will remain avant garde for another 20 years). I could've chosen other Frippery (The Rack used to have a Fripp/Eno, for example), but I'm happy with this one.

Elton John--(eponymous)--When it comes to Elton, I'm a fan of this one album.

Hot Tuna--(eponymous)--We always called this one "Acoustic Live", though the CD box doesn't say that on the spine. When the record wore out, I bought the CD.

Bob Dylan--"Highway 61 Revisited"--From the Old Ones, it would be this, "Bringing It All Back Home", or "Greatest Hits Vol. 1". As I've mentioned, I've got a Dylan problem that could lead to a rethinking of the whole concept here.

Rolling Stones--"Sticky Fingers"--Actually, I'm more of a Brian Jones-era Stones fan. The Octagonal album was my choice for my very first 8-Track! I'll take "Sticky" for tops in anything they've done since 1970.

Frank Zappa --"Apostrophe/Overnight Sensation"--This release combined two great albums for the price of one. With this one selection, one has a pretty firm hold on the Zappa oeuvre.

The Who--"Tommy"--At one time, when I operated under different rules, we had "Quadrophenia" in The Rack, too. The release I have of this one is on a single disc, which probably means it's dicey to maintain quality of the CD's play over the long run.

The Beatles--"White Album"--Takes up the two-jewelbox slot at the end. "Abbey Road" might take the Oldies slot from time to time, but we've got room for The White right now. It fits with the "eponymous" theme, actually.

Pink Floyd--"Wish You Were Here"--To be honest, I can't find the CD--yet again. I believe my sister-in-law has pilfered it twice from me (she loves it), and my ex-brother-in-law might have one to his discredit. There's no question about it being the masterpiece of the Floyd oeuvre. So, consider it's ghost (or Syd's?) to be occupying one of the open slots.

The above review raised some critical questions about composition of The Rack. The open slots should be filled by The Shins (album TBD), Bright Eyes ("I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning"--in the car now), a David Bowie album from the early '80's, and Fatboy Slim ("You've Come a Long Way, Baby")--except that the open slots are all in the Oldies, now. This means a realignment is due.

P.S. 6/19/07--On re-reading this, I realize I omitted "John Barleycorn Must Die," Traffic. It suggests to me that I may have omitted others. We will review and post through comments or other links.



























1 comment:

HieroHero said...

pm dawn are still doin their thing http://www.myspace.com/pmdawn