Translate

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Biden: His Time

Sorry, couldn't resist it, but it does apply. It will never be Joe Biden's time more than it is now, come what may with the election and hypothetical future Democratic administration.

He has certainly put in his time (36 years, through thick and thin, and most of these last eight have been pretty awful slim pickin's), and put himself forth vigorously for the longest time. I hope he is fully up to the strains of campaigning, but I assume the vaunted Obamaian thorough vetting would have included the medical assessment(s).

His story on the national stage has not been so successful, but, as Mark Helperin said, tellingly cutting through the hyperventilation, no one has questioned his qualification to succeed to the Presidency, so that makes it a good choice. He's never going to rival Obama for overall popularity, but he should appeal to certain voters in key areas. I think Chuck Todd was right, and Biden wasn't quite happy with the speech he ended up giving. I think he will do extremely well on the stump.

He is going to prove a tough target for McCain to counter-program, and McCampaign should probably consider the VP debate a loss to minimize. I think it narrows his choices considerably.

Word has gotten out that McCain's short list is Romney, Pawlenty, and Lieberman. This list looks very unappealing--Lieberman will be an affront to party regulars, while Romney is an affront to anyone's senses, and Pawlenty is an unknown. I still think Crist, or Portman is a better choice, but limited to that list Pawlenty of Minnesota makes the most sense. Minnesota is, surprisingly, one of the closest states in recent elections--close enough that a couple of percent for a favorite-son VP candidate could tip it the Republicans' way. I think Romney would be a liability, but from prior experience I never wish for the worst Republican to rise to the top--we have plenty of experience what damage can result.

Disclosure: My late bets on Biden (averaging 35) earned me some on Rasmussen's market, outweighing smaller losses on the likes of Clark, Richardson, Daschle, and Sebelius. On the CNN market, I lost rather more because I went in too much for Sebelius, and because the "None of the above" choice I bet some on (as opposed to the early choices out there--Hillary, Edwards, Richardson, etc.) lost big due to the relative longshot Biden's being out there all along. I'm dangerously exposed (on CNN's market) if McCain turns tail and picks Romney.

No comments: