Translate

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

The Boeotian

A quick one: Remember we posted the results of looking up "Bushite" at Merriam-Webster Online (January, 2006)? http://chinshihtang.blogspot.com/2006/01/from-merriam-webster-online-bushite.html

Anyway, one of the 10 similar words they came up with was "Boeotia", which I had to look up, remembering only that it was a state in ancient Greece. Checked with Wikipedia: it's a strategically located area (still an active place name), the big city in ancient times was Thebes (blown up real good, for good, by Great, Alexander the). Here's the key point, at the end of the article:

Pejorative term
As a result of Athens' proud assertion of its cultural superiority, first of all compared to its closest, rural neighbours (bad luck for them, there was no convincing reason), the word Boeotian or Beotian (the adjective derived from and word for the inhabitants of Boeotia) has been adopted in many classical and antique languages as a pejorative term for backward people, simpletons etc.

So, there we have it: Boeotian (pronounced Bo-EE-shun, I think) is, in some sense, a synonym for Bushite. I feel affirmed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm a writer from Springfield, United States just sent this onto a colleague who is conducting a bit of research on this. And she in fact bought me lunch only because I discovered it for her... lol. So allow me to reword this.... Thanks for the meal... But yeah, thanx for spending some time to talk about this issue here on your site.

My website - 76956